The Legislative Council Chamber
The Legislative Council and their Chamber [654kb]
The Legislative Council Chamber was completed in 1939. Its lighting and acoustic properties are superb and beautiful Queensland maple panelling and traditional red carpet enrich the atmosphere of the 'House of Review'. Galleries surround the Chamber on three sides on the floor level and on all four sides on the first floor level.
Its overall dimensions are the same as those of the House of Assembly Chamber. The Vice-Regal throne (which is also the President's chair) at the northern end has been in use in the Legislative Council since 1855. Made of English oak, it is richly carved with Gothic decorations, and the seat is covered with red velvet. The back is supported by spiral columns, surmounted by the Royal Arms carved also in solid oak.
Beneath the President's dais is the Table of the Council, with the Clerk's chair at the President's right and the chair of the Deputy Clerk and Black Rod at the left. The centre chair is occupied by the President in his capacity as Chairman of Committees when the Council is in Committee. Black Rod's staff lies in the brackets on the front of the Council Table during the sitting of the Council.
On the front bench on the right of the President sit the Legislative Council Ministers. The allocation of the remaining seats is made on the basis of a Member's affiliation with either the Government or Opposition Parties, Government Members occupying the seats on the right of the President.
It is in the Legislative Council Chamber that each session of Parliament is opened by the Sovereign's Representative (the Governor or Lieutenant-Governor) in the presence of Members of both Houses.
The galleries on either side of the Chamber immediately behind the Members' benches are used during the Opening of Parliament for the accommodation of distinguished guests. Beyond the bar is the President's Gallery and upstairs are the Stranger's Galleries. 'Hansard' and media reporters occupy the northern upstairs galleries.