Parliament Of South Australia Website
Home
Students
Teachers
Visits
Links
Search

The Promise and The Fulfilment

The following can be found engraved in the stone on each side of the main entrance to Centre Hall at Parliament House.

The Promise on the left – the original building 1889

The Fulfilment on the right – the building completed in 1939


THE PROMISE

“HIS MAJESTY’S SUBJECTS

OF THE PROVINCE OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA

ARE TO RECEIVE A CONSTITUTION

OF SELF GOVERNMENT

AS SOON AS THE COLONY SHALL BE

IN A STATE FIT TO ENJOY

THAT INESTIMABLE ADVANTAGE”

EDWARD GIBBON WAKEFIELD

FOUNDER OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA 1834


 

THE FULFILMENT

THIS HOUSE OF PARLIAMENT WAS COMPELTED

AS AN EXPRESSION OF FAITH

IN THE STATE INSTITUTIONS

IN APPRECIATION OF THE BENEFITS WROUGHT

BY EIGHTY YEARS OF SELF GOVERNMENT

AND IN COMMEMORATION OF

THE CENTENARY OF THE STATE

UNVEILED BY HIS EXCELLENCY THE GOVERNOR

MAJOR GENERAL SIR WINSTON DUGAN K.G.M.G., C.B..D.S.O.

23RD DECEMBER 1936

Feedback Site Map Contact Us Disclaimer Copyright © 1.0 24/05/2010 1:02 PM