Welcome to the South Australian Parliament Education Unit
Our vision is to provide accessible, sustainable and meaningful education as well as provide the public with a memorable experience when visiting Parliament House.
The Education Officer of Parliament House
The Parliament of South Australia, the South Australian government and the Department of Education and Children's Services have a strong commitment to civics and citizenship education. They are keen:
- To provide opportunities for students to gain knowledge and understanding of the origins and nature of Australia's democratic processes, government, judicial system and the nation's place in the international community
- To support students in their understanding of how participation and decision-making processes operate in contemporary Australia
- For students to be informed about public issues and understand how our system of government works in practice and how it affects citizens.
The Education Officer is employed by the Department of Education and Children's Services and provides access for the education sector to the resources of Parliament House through:
- Designing and delivering professional development programs for teachers
- Producing teaching and learning resources in line with education priorities and curriculum frameworks
- Organising education activities and events for schools for use at Parliament House and in schools
- Managing student visits to the Parliament House galleries
Phone: 61-8-8237 9386
Fax: 61-8-8212 5792
The Community Engagement Officer
The Community Engagement Officer is a new position for the South Australian Parliament. The role is primarily focused on creating a dynamic program of events which are informative and engaging to the broader community.
Outside of the school programs, currently conducted at Parliament House, the Community Engagement Officer will assist Parliament provide education to a diverse range of interested groups by working in collaboration with organisations, government departments and community groups to provide suitable programs that develop peoples' understanding of the role and function of South Australia's Parliament.
In development are plans to make Parliament House an even more inspiring place to visit with an aim to make everyone's experience at Parliament House an enjoyable and positive one.
The Community Engagement Officer is in the process of developing a sustainable program that adds value to the South Australian community by making Parliament more open and accessible to its people.
This unit believes in life long learning and realises that we cannot always remember what we learnt in school and therefore all of us can benefit from learning more about our Parliament and what function it plays in our everyday lives.
Parliament House also has a rich and fascinating history. From the architecturally unique building to memorable and pioneering debates and history making legislation, visiting Parliament House has something for everyone and is a rewarding experience.
Watch this space for upcoming programs and events.
If you would like to learn more, organise a tour for your specific group or contribute to our programs please contact:
Community Engagement Officer
Phone: 61-8-8237 9467 Inquiries Office