The Aboriginal Lands Parliamentary Standing Committee has opened an inquiry into governance standards in South Australian Aboriginal community-controlled organisations.
In particular the committee will consider:
1. The key elements of a comprehensive governance capacity-building framework that will support South Australian Aboriginal organisations and corporations to deliver on Aboriginal community aspirations for self-determination.
This may include:
- what policies and processes will best support directors and boards to meet their statutory and financial obligations and oversee the management of their organisations
- what policies and processes will best support directors and boards to ensure culturally safe processes
- governance structures that enable South Australian Aboriginal community-controlled organisations and corporations to maximise economic opportunities for the benefit of their communities
- governance structures that enable South Australian Aboriginal community-controlled organisations and corporations to maximise cultural opportunities for the benefit of their communities
- best practice in training and mentor supports appropriate for boards of Aboriginal community controlled organisations and corporations
- examples of good governance in First Nations’ organisations nationally and internationally that have local relevance, including practical examples of how to implement good governance principles such as:
- integrity (including management of real or perceived conflicts of interest)
- cultural authority
- culturally safe processes
- incorporating Aboriginal decision-making principles
2. Specific pathways to support young Aboriginal people and Aboriginal women to step into leadership roles in their communities.
The original deadline for any person or organisation wishing to make a written submission to the Committee was 31 March 2021, but the Committee is now granting extensions for submissions. Please contact email@example.com to discuss a timeframe for making a submission.
Executive Research Officer
Aboriginal Lands Parliamentary Standing Committee
GPO Box 572, Adelaide 5001
(08) 8237 9568