to investigate matters relating the role, performance and continuing relevance of state instrumentalities and independent public bodies.
[a] to inquire into, consider and report on any statutory authority referred to it under this Act, including-
- the need for the authority to continue in existence;
- the functions of the authority and the need for the authority to continue to perform those functions;
- the net effect of the authority and its operations on the finances of the State;
- whether the authority and its operations provide the most effective, efficient and economical means for achieving the purposes for which the authority was established;
- whether the structure of the authority is appropriate to its functions;
- whether the functions or operations of the statutory authority duplicate or overlap in any respect the functions or operations of another authority, body or person;
[b] to perform such other functions as are imposed on the Committee under this or any other Act or by resolution of both Houses.
Under Section 16 of the Parliamentary Committees Act, any matter that is relevant to the functions of a Committee established pursuant to the Act may be referred to that Committee:
(a) by resolution of the Committee’s appointing House or Houses, or either of the Committee’s appointing Houses; or
(b) by the Governor, by notice published in the Gazette; or
(c) of the Committee’s own motion.